This week’s show features excerpts from authors featured in the Ms. Aligned: Women Writing about Men anthologies plus the musical choices they’ve selected to go with their work.
Mary Archer is a University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa graduate with a BA in English. In spring 2015, her essay and narrative fiction piece appeared in Ka Hue Anahā: Journal of Academic & Research Writing, Kapi‘olani Community College’s student periodical. Last year her poetry suite “Drafts of Robert McHenry” appeared in Ms. Aligned: Women Writing About Men. She is a New York native and currently lives in Hawai‘i.
Pat Matsueda is the managing editor of Mānoa: A Pacific Journal of International Writing and the author of Stray (2006) and Bedeviled (2016, 2017). She coedited the 2016 edition of Ms. Aligned with Sheyene Foster Heller and has a small business, Peak Services, which helps people produce books and other publications.
Angela Nishimoto was raised on the windward side of O‘ahu, teaches on the leeward side, and lives in Honolulu with her husband. She earned her MS degree in botanical science at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa. She has published fiction in Hawai‘i Pacific Review, Chaminade Literary Review, Kaimana, Hawai‘i Review, Bamboo Ridge, Writing Raw, Ms. Aligned, and elsewhere.
Introduction to the Ms. Aligned anthologies:
- “Poetry Man” by Phoebe Snow
- LIT: “Birds in Flight”
- “Baby Woncha Come on Home” by Joan Armatrading
- LIT: “At Sea“
- “When Doves Cry” by Prince
- “Lightning Crashes” by Live
- LIT: “Death of Blossom Girl”
- “In My Life” by The Beatles
- LIT: “Drafts of Robert McHenry”
- “Manuel’s Love Song” from the movie “Captain’s Courageous”
- “In the Blood” by John Mayer
- LIT: “My Friend Looks at the Horizon”
- “Sunny Side of Heaven” by Fleetwood Mac
- LIT: “Still Center” + advice to younger self
- “Path of Thorns” by Sarah McLachlan
INTERVIEWS WITH THE AUTHORS
Advice to Your Younger Writer Self