This week’s show features the poetry of D. Kealiʻi MacKenzie and the poetry he’s chosen to pair with his work!
D. Kealiʻi MacKenzie is a queer poet of Kanaka Maoli, Chinese, English, German, Scottish, and Irish descent. He was born in raised in Springfield, Massachusetts and spent 3 years in the city of Worcester, Massachusetts, where he cohosted the now-defunct Poet’s Asylum. A member of the Worcester Poetry slam team that competed at the 2009 National Poetry Slam, his poetry has appeared in: Home(is)lands: New Art and Writing from Guahan and Hawaiʻi, Hawaiʻi Review, Yellow Medicine Review: A Journal of Indigenous Literature, Art, and Thought, Storyboard Journal, and Assaracus: a Journal of Gay Poetry. He received both his MLISc and an MA in Pacific Islands Studies from the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa.
- Opening/intro Song: “The Moon” – Patricia Barber; album: Mythologies
- LIT: “Origins”
- “Night Marchers” – Kupa‘aina; album: Kupa‘aina
- LIT: “Colonial”
- “Hawaii 78” – IZ; album: Facing Future
- LIT: “For Mauna Kea”
- “Eo E Mauna Kea” – Kaumakaiwa Kanaka‘ole; album: Welo
- LIT: “Poem for March 1st”
- “Se Ma Le Losa” – Te Vaka; album: Nukukehe
- LIT: “This is What I Left Behind”
- “Kara Remembers” Bear McCreary (composer); album: Battlestar Galactica Season 4 Soundtrack
- LIT: “Pause”
- “Pierro Fiel” – Shakira ft. Nicky Jam; album: El Dorado
- LIT: “2:23 AM”
- The Tennessee Waltz” – Cassandra Wilson & Jacky Terrasson; album: Rendezvous
- LIT: “Island Men”
- Song: “Nesian 101” – Nesian Mystik; album: Elevator Musiq.
- Closing song: “1977” – Anna Tijoux; album: 1977