For this inaugural episode of this themed call for materials, we have the privilege and pleasure of featuring literature by Allison Adelle Hedge Coke, Noʻu Revilla, Julia Katz, CJ Kee, Jocelyn Kapumealani Ng, D. Kealiʻi Mackenzie + the music they chose to go with their work. Enjoy! And remember that this call for materials remains open for submissions (so if you get inspired listening to this magic, we hope you’ll send us what you’re writing!).
Allison Adelle Hedge Coke, poet, writer. Recent books include Burn, Streaming, Effigies III.
Noʻu Revilla is a poet, educator & aloha ʻāina. She is currently surrounded by kupukupu ferns and is growing an ʻulu tree, tomatoes, and garlic with the love of her life.
Julia Katz is a gay Korean Jewish poet. After finishing her doctorate in history, she left academia to become a nurse. Her poems have appeared on cocktail napkins and your aunty’s fridge.
CJ Kee is a tall ravenous Honolulu-based longboarder who loves words, art, and you. Yes, you.
Jocelyn Kapumealani Ng is a queer multi-dimensional creative of Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, and Portuguese descent. The fluidity of her art blends award-winning spoken word poetry, special effects make-up, theater performance, photography ,and fabrication to navigate themes of queerness, Indigenous culture, womxn issues, and the representation of under represented narratives. She is cohost of It’s Lit. IG: @jocelynkng
D. Kealiʻi Mackenzie is the author of the chapbook From Hunger to Prayer (cover by Jocelyn Ng) and his work appears in homology lit and ʻŌiwi: A Native Hawaiian Journal. He remains fond of libraries, but not the ‘smell of books,’ which he understands is the smell of acid destroying pages. He loves red pandas. Twitter: @DMKealii IG: @kealii0529
- LIT: Allison Adelle Hedge Coke’s “Demesnes” and “What More”
- Dead presidents theme-Danny Elfman track
- LIT: Noʻu Revilla’s “Ode to My Lover’s Body Hair”
- “Stay” Njoki Karu (Rafiki soundtrack)
- LIT: Julia Katz’s “1st Concert for ETs”
- “Your Voice” Santigold
- LIT: CJ Kee’s letter
- “Insomniac’s Lullaby” IZIK
- LIT: Jocelyn Kapumealani Ng’s “May 13, 2020”
- “getsomerest / sleepwell” quickly quickly
- LIT: D. Keali’i Mackenzie’s “Ocean Longing in the Time of Coronavirus”
- “Sky and Sea (Blue in Green)” Cassandra Wilson
- “Rhythm of the Ocean” Hawaiian Style Band
recorded and released 5/15