This episode features the literature of Darien Hsu Gee and the musical selections she’s chosen to go with her work!
Darien Hsu Gee is the author of five novels published by Penguin Random House that have been translated into eleven languages, three under the pen name Mia King. She is the winner of a 2019 Poetry Society of America’s Chapbook Fellowship award for Other Small Histories and the 2015 Hawai‘i Book Publishers’ Ka Palapala Poʻokela Award of Excellence for Writing the Hawai‘i Memoir. Darien is the recipient of a Sustainable Arts Foundation grant and a Vermont Studio Center fellowship. She serves as series editor for the Hali‘a Aloha series, a memoir writing program and hybrid publishing line launching in 2021 with Legacy Isle Publishing in Honolulu. She lives with her family on the Big Island of Hawaiʻi.
Darien’s latest books, Other Small Histories, a collection of poems about her matrilineal line, and Allegiance, a collection of micro essays about growing up Chinese American and how we find our tribes, share similar themes of family, identity and otherness. Poet Patricia Smith says of Other Small Histories: “Gee’s touch is both delicate and muscular while she explores the lives of the people our lives rest upon, the people responsible for who we’ve become. This is poetry with work to do, poetry to feed us and move us more sanely from day to day.” A BookLife Editor’s Pick, Kirkus Reviews calls Allegiance “arresting,” and Garrett Hongo says she is “a marvelously direct writer of powerful autobiographical vignettes, each one telling in its quiet ferocity for personal revelation, each a momentary, lyric ascent above everyday confusion.”
You can find her at www.dariengee.com, or on Facebook (@authordariengee), Twitter (@dariengee), or Insta (@darienhsugee).
- LIT: “Woman’s Work,” “Constellations,” “Year of the Pig” from Other Small Histories
- Ooh Child performed by MILCK (https://youtu.be/h0K9jxmFMNo)
- LIT: “A Woman of God Considers Her Husband’s First Wife,” “Rumor,” “Likeness” from Other Small Histories
- Hostage by Billie Eilish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skHbZBsS7hM)
- LIT: “This is Not a Drill,” “Multiverse” from Allegiance
- Family by The Chainsmokers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPbFxEGzCaM)
- In Conversation with Darien Hsu Gee
- Beautiful Day by U2 (https://youtu.be/co6WMzDOh1o