This episode features the writing of Lisa Whalen and the music she’s chosen to go with her work. We first met Lisa at AWP 2020 in San Antonio when she attended our panel on To Boldly Go: Unconventional Publishing Opportunities from Radio and Beyond. We’re happy to report that Lisa will be reading for this episode from Stable Weight: A Memoir of Hunger, Horses, and Hope, which is available from Hopewell Publications and launched March 2, 2021!
Lisa Whalen’s writing has appeared in An Introvert in an Extrovert World; The Simpsons’ Beloved Springfield; Adanna; and Introvert, Dear; among other publications. She is currently working on a book for Cambridge Scholars Publishing titled Narratives and Empathy in the Digital Age. Whalen has an M.A. in creative and critical writing, and a Ph.D. in postsecondary and adult education. She teaches writing and literature at North Hennepin Community College, where she was selected as Minnesota State Faculty Association Educator of the Year in 2019. In her spare time, Whalen is an equestrian and volunteer for the Animal Humane Society. Learn more about her writing on her website, https://lisawhalen.wixsite.com/lisawhalen, or follow @LisaIrishWhalen on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or LinkedIn.
- Beethoven’s 5th Symphony, 2nd Movement
- Author Introduction
- LIT: Excerpt from the Prologue of Stable Weight
- Beethoven’s 5th Symphony, 1st Movement
- LIT: Excerpt from Chapter 3 of Stable Weight
- Taylor Swift’s “Look What You Made Me Do”
- LIT: Excerpt from Chapter 9 of Stable Weight
- Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’”
- Author interview
- “This Is Me” from the soundtrack for The Greatest Showman