This episode features Rushi Vyas & Rajiv Mohabir, coauthors of the recently released chapbook Between Us, Not Half a Saint, out with Gasher Press.
Rushi Vyas is the author of the forthcoming poetry collection When I Reach For Your Pulse (Four Way Books, 2023) which was a two-time finalist for the National Poetry Series in the US, and the co-author of the chapbook Between Us, Not Half a Saint, with Rajiv Mohabir (Gasher, May 2021). Originally from the US, he now lives in Ōtepoti Dunedin in Aotearoa New Zealand where he is a PhD candidate in Literature at Te Whare Wānanga o Ōtākou / the University of Otago.
Rajiv Mohabir is the author of The Cowherd’s Son (Tupelo Press 2017, winner of the 2015 Kundiman Prize; Eric Hoffer Honorable Mention 2018) and The Taxidermist’s Cut (Four Way Books 2016, winner of the Four Way Books Intro to Poetry Prize, Finalist for the Lambda Literary Award for Gay Poetry in 2017), and translator of I Even Regret Night: Holi Songs of Demerara (1916) (Kaya Press 2019) which received a PEN/Heim Translation Fund Grant Award and the 2020 Harold Morton Landon Translation Award from the American Academy of Poets. His memoir received the 2019 Reckless Books’ New Immigrant Writing Prize and is forthcoming 2021. Currently he is an Assistant Professor of poetry in the MFA program at Emerson College and translations editor at Waxwing Journal.
- Introduction: Read essay excerpt & playlist introduction
- “Raga Bhairav” by Rajan Mishra and Sajan Mishra
- LIT: “Gayatri” and “Gaya Tree”
- “Birthright” by Sarathy Korwar
- LIT: “Kā Roimata ō Hine Hukatere” and “Ku Kia’i Mauna”
- “OK” by Talvin Singh
- LIT: “Turiya Test” and “Purnamidam”
- “Departures” by Rajna Swaminathan
- LIT: “Ghazal” and “A Mixed-Caste Queer Sings the Blues”
- “Your Woman” by White Town
- Collaborator Interview
- “Birthright Diabolical Liberties Remix” by Sarathy Korwar
- BONUS TRACK: “Optimism” by Vijay Ayer
- BONUS TRACK: Joni Mitchell’s “A Case of You” covered by Tessa Romano (voice) & Rushi Vyas (guitar)